Sunday, March 24, 2013

Elder Scrolls - Morrowind

I've always been a big fan of the Elder Scrolls games. The very first game I played by Bethesda was The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind. At the time I was an avid reader of  the PC Gamer magazine. After reading some first looks and reviews of Morrowind I knew I had to have it for my X-Box. See below pictures for a 'Morrowind' first look from PC Gamer.

Click here for Morrowind First Look! (IMGUR)

At the time I was fourteen years old, but I had saved up enough money from babysitting to buy it. Yes, I baby sat. I'm going a bit off-topic here but the kid I baby sat was really into sports and playing outdoors. Well, when I was babysitting I put a stop to that! I brought over all the best computer games and introduced him to the world of gaming. Why go outside when you can game? Why explore nature when you can explore it from your desk?

I had given my mother the money and told her when the game would be released. She said that she would pick it up on her lunch break. Lo and behold release day comes and the store my mother goes to is sold out. I was distraught! I had been anxiously awaiting my mother's return from work only to be sorely dissapointed. 

After a week of waiting I finally get a hold of Morrowind. Words could not describe how excited I was. I popped it into my X-Box and started her up. The thing I will always remember about Morrowind is the intro music... nothing else like it. It was so distinct. (Music Video below.)


Once you start the game you find that you are on a the bottom level of a boat and there is a curious looking fellow staring at you asking for your name. This curious fellow was named Jiub... and I have never trusted him. Don't ask me why, but he seems like a shady fellow.




I mean just look at him. Who the hell is that ripped? Especially if he is surviving off of  prisoner rations. Also, he is completely hairless and as my father always said never trust the hairless.

Anywho, the guards eventually release you from your captivity with Jiub. They instruct you to go to the top floor of the boat and to work your way to the census office. One of the awe inspiring parts of playing this game was getting to the top floor of the boat and just looking at the sky. I had seen nothing else like it, it almost looked life like!





That entire summer I did nothing, and I mean nothing, but play Morrowind. I was too young to drive, or have a real job so I spent my days playing Morrowind. Given, that my brother and I would have to share the X-Box but when I was not playing I was looking up strategy guides or tips and tricks on the game.

My brother would always stay up throughout the night playing. I knew this, so I would get up at five to six am the next morning right when he was going to sleep. That would give me a solid eight to ten hours of gaming time.

I have so many great memories from this game and half the time I played I wasn't even completing  quests or story lines. I just spent the time exploring the gigantic world and looking for treasures or tougher enemies. Morrowind is one of those games that you will start playing and in a blink of an eye ten hours have passed. It is truly a master piece.

I'll add some more stories from Morrowind at a later date.

Thanks for reading!

-AJ





No comments:

Post a Comment