Sunday, March 24, 2013

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magicka Obscura

This is by far one of the best, if not the best, single player role playing games in existence. I have never found another game quite like it. I picked it up on a whim when I was fourteen years old and perusing the Wal-Mart video game section. The cover art on the box is what drew me in, see for yourself:



Once I got it installed and got it fired up I was a little overwhelmed. The character creation offers so many options from beauty, charisma, willpower, trap disarmament, gambling, necromancy, and so on. See below.


I had no idea where to start so I made a half-ogre with knowledge in melee. I started the game and went through the typical intro movies. After a few minutes I was finally ready to play! Well, come to find out Half-Ogres have very low intelligence... and the Arcanum NPCs will treat you differently because your character is imbecile. I was not aware of this, but it made for a hilarious first character. There is a video below showing NPC's reactions to a retarded character.


So, I played for a while as the dumb character... but I ended up getting a little bored with it so I decided to make a new character that could solve simple arithmetic. This time I decided on a gnome wizard. I saw there was an ability to summon creatures to fight for you so I maxed that out as much as I could. I figured summoning two ogres to protect me would work out pretty well.

This build worked out quite well. Whenever anything would attack me I would summon two ogres and then run and hide while they took care of business. I did my first play through of this game as that character.

After I beat the game I promptly went back and created a whole new character with all different possibilities. Don't want a gnome summoner? How about a Dwarf gunsmith who specializes in making high tech armor? Or, how about a hafling with a deadly bow and arrow?

If you haven't played Arcanum before I reccomend geting it now! It can be bought on Gog.com, or on E-Bay. If you were a fan of the original Fallout games, Baldur's Gate, or IceWind Dale you will love Arcanum.

Also... you can have sex with a sheep!



Thanks for reading!

-AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment